- The 2016 Ecopalms Season has ended. Thank you for your support! Please check back in January to order for Palm Sunday 2017.
Welcome to EcoPalms.org
By choosing Ecopalms for Palm Sunday you can promote environmental and social justice through your congregations palm purchasing decisions!
Promote Social Justice
- Harvesting palms is an important source of income but gatherers receive a low price
- Gatherers will receive a higher price for their “fair trade” palms improving their income.
Promote Environmental Stewardship
- Palms protect valuable natural forests because they provide income to forest communities.
- Palms will be “sustainably” harvested and managed protecting the palms and the forests they need for shade.
Why a "Fair Trade" Palm?
- To improve income and living conditions for the communities gathering the palm.
- To protect the palms and the important forests from which they are gathered through sustainable harvest programs.
Did You Know?
- Approximately 308 million palm fronds were consumed in the United States in 1998.
- Palm purchases for Palm Sunday may be worth up to 4.5 million dollars/year.
- A congregation of 1,100 to 1,500 members will order approximately 700 palm fronds for Palm Sunday services.
- Palm gathering actually protects valuable natural forests.
- At least half of the farmers in the Central Petenof Guatemala earn additional income from harvesting fronds and, more than a quarter of household heads support themselves exclusively by collecting fronds.
- Each palm plant produces 2 to 5 harvestable leaves over a 2 to 4 month period.